The D&H canal property was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1968, and locks 16 through 20 were cleared and refurbished (to the extent possible) in 1999. Originally built in 1847, these five locks were part of a new route designed to accommodate increased traffic and larger boats. A loading quay can be seen just past lock 16. Constructed with Shawangunk conglomerate, an indigenous stone, each lock measures 90’ long, 15’ wide, and 15’ deep, and provides an average change in elevation of 12.6’.
The towpath is approximately one-half mile in length, and can be accessed year-round during daylight hours, without charge. Pets must be leashed; NO bicycles or motorized vehicles are allowed. Respect private property and avoid restricted areas. Be prepared for uneven terrain, and for seasonal hazards like ticks and poison ivy.